Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My reunion with Zayne



by Susan Palmes-Dennis

It’s been quite a long time since I last posted about Zayne Mojica, my five-year- old ward here in Charlotte, North Carolina.

But last Monday, June 23, I was reunited with him after a three-month hiatus following some changes in my work schedule and circumstances. For those following my blog, you may recall that I was with Zayne since he was a year old.

Even if I wasn't with him I got informed about how he's doing from my daughter GG who took over babysitting duties from me. We would talk frequently about Zayne since he always has a special place in my heart.

On arriving at his home, my husband Ronnie said “look who's here” and a happy Zayne answered “Nanay (mother).” I hugged him and there was a brief moment of awkwardness before our eyes met and we smiled at each other.

I started he day by asking him “what do you want to do today babe?” and he didn't answer. In the old days, he would act indifferent every time we meet on Mondays. But this time he was all smiles.

He was still in his pajamas and was watching Disney Channel while eating Kellog's mini-wheats strawberry flavor and I sat at the floor not mentioning a word. Then I heard him say “Nanay I have a surprise for you.”

I was really surprised because he used my game of surprise every time we see each other; I have small or big things to remind him that he was in my thoughts even when I wasn't around.

It was my idea of showing people I care even if it is only a piece of “candy.” Usually when I say that I have a surprise for him, Zayne would close his eyes and when he opens them, he would see my small or big gift and he would kiss and hug me.

This time, he held my hand and told me to close my eyes as he led me to the other side of the living room. When he told me to open my eyes, I feigned surprise when he showed me his new helicopter made of Lego tiles and a new car.

Wow this is new,” I told him and Zayne proudly answered that he got his gifts from his father and GG helped him assemble the Lego tiles into a helicopter.

Get up Nanay I have another surprise for you. Close your eyes again,” Zayne said and as we climbed up the stairs he excitedly showed me his other new toys and clothes.


Simple gestures like teaching Zayne about appreciating the gifts given to him and of giving back fills me with a sense of fulfillment. 

It's showing the unexpected little things that often do matter. Anyone can give a grand gift but making it feel special to the recipient is something different altogether.

These simple gifts, these gestures of thoughtfulness and care go a long way towards building a happier, kinder and more optimistic Zayne as he continues on his life journey.

(Susan Palmes-Dennis is a veteran journalist from Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental, Northern Mindanao in the Philippines who works as a nanny in North Carolina. This page will serve as a venue for news and discussion on Filipino communities in the Carolinas. Visit and read her website at www.susanpalmes-dennis.simplesite.com. Read her blogs on susanpalmesstraightfrom the Carolinas.com. These and other articles also appear at http://www.sunstar.com.ph/author/2582/susan-palmes-dennis.


You can also connect with her through her Pinterest account at http://www.pinterest.com/pin/41025046580074350/) and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Straight-from-the-Carolinas-/494156950678063)

No comments:

Post a Comment