Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Connecting with Zayne

Zayne in his disciple costume with cast mates.

by Susan Palmes-Dennis

I am presently occupied with another “job” that keeps me away from my little friend Zayne Mojica.

But I still see him a lot as he stays with my daughter GG. In fact today he is here with us. Even now, when we’ve spent quite a bit of time with each other, Zayne still feels shy and awkward towards me.

It would take 20 minutes before he warms up and approaches me. This is a late post because of my second job so let me tell you about the Holy Week presentation that I attended where Zayne played one of the Lord’s disciples.

The teacher read the stories in the Bible to the audience and the stories transported me back to the times when I read the Holy Book in my childhood. 

These are the Biblical stories of David and Goliath, Cain and Abel, Elijah being fed by ravens and the story of Daniel as well as Jesus of course. 

Teaching children the Word of God early helps prepare them in their journey in life. “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it” said Proverbs 22:6

It is so important to shape and guide children but as adults we help to shape the children in what they do even in early age. Children by nature believe what adults tell them anyway so this is the best time to teach them.

I remember when Zayne was three years old, I mentioned the name Jesus out of nowhere and he asked me “where is Jesus Nanay (mother)?”

I was taken aback with his question and it took me sometime to tell him that Jesus is “in heaven.”  I should have answered that Jesus is here with us always. 

I enjoyed the Holy Week play. Tomorrow Zayne goes back to school and I resume my other job. Hope you continue to enjoy my nanny stories and see you soon.




(Susan Palmes-Dennis is a veteran journalist from Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental, Northern Mindanao in the Philippines who works as a nanny in North Carolina. This page will serve as a venue for news and discussion on Filipino communities in the Carolinas. 

She also has her own website at susanpalmes-dennis.simplesite.com. Read her blogs on susanpalmesstraightfrom the Carolinas.com. These and other articles also appear at http://www.sunstar.com.ph/author/2582/susan-palmes-dennis).

No comments:

Post a Comment